WE ARE ANGRY!
by Kyra Young on Aug 17, 2017
We are angry...but we plan to do something about it!
We do not normally post about subjects like this, but as a Black-owned and woman-owned company, we refuse to sit around and be silent about the realities we face as women of color. Here are the problems:
FIRST, products made for us (especially Black women) were few, if not existent for the longest time. The noticeable increase of brands catered to women of color started in the early 2000s (around year 2005 and after).
AND, mainstream media (i.e. TV, magazines, and other major beauty outlets) rarely featured women of color. This caused women of color to experiment with products that would lighten their darker skin and straighten their curls in hopes of looking more like what was considered beautiful in the world.
NOW, there are a lot of products marketed to women of color, BUT with more harmful chemicals. It is crazy to say that our attempt to go back to natural is now being met with serious health concerns related to the "natural" products we use on a daily basis. See the recent article from The Cut.
How do we fix this?
At Kyra's Shea Medleys we believe in being 100% transparent about the ingredients we use and how we make our natural products. We encourage you to read the ingredients on the back of the jar and research what they can do for you.
- We use natural and certified organic ingredients.
- Our products are plant-based and certified vegan, and cruelty-free by both PETA and Leaping Bunny.
- We absolutely DO NOT use: Sulfates, Petroleum, Silicones, Mineral Oil, Parabens, Phthalates (found in most fragrances, but not ours), Artificial Colors, Isopropyl Alcohol, Lanolin, Animal By-Products and NO Animal Testing
In addition to great ingredients, our Medleys are:
- Multipurpose - Our products can be used on your hair, skin, and nails. There is no need to be a product junkie with our Medleys.
- Made in USA - Some of our ingredients, like Shea Butter (which only grows in Africa), are outsourced through fair-trade companies, but every Medley is handcrafted in small batches right here in our Los Angeles, CA hometown.
- Effective - Our Medleys do exactly what they say they will do. Just ask our customers. As of today, we have received over 245 5-star reviews out of 254 total reviews!
- Black-owned and Woman-Owned - We proudly acknowledge these attributes because who else knows what is better for WOMEN of COLOR? In the words of Daymond John, Kyra's Shea Medleys is "for us, by us".
We love that natural beauty care is in demand, but we ask that you do your due diligence when making health-conscious decisions. Anything worth investing in is first worth investigating. We are open to any questions you have.
Your KSM Family